East Gippsland Shire Council is opposing a Victorian Government plan that would force every household to
take on a glass recycling bin – a move Council warns would hit local families with an unwanted annual hike
on their rates if implemented.
Council has teamed up with 30 other Victorian councils for the Let’s Be Clear on Glass campaign, which
calls on the Victorian Government to pause its plan for a mandatory glass-only bin. Council says the
statewide rollout, slated for 2027, would cost councils a combined $75 million to set up, and around $1.4
million each year per council to run a monthly glass collection service.
Mayor Cr Jodie Ashworth said Council has actively advocated against the move since the Government
announced the move in late 2024.
“The glass recycling bin rollout is a waste of money that would be passed directly to ratepayers. These extra
costs would see $27 or more added to every household's annual waste bill," Cr Ashworth said.
“Our communities are already doing it tough. We can’t just sit back and let the Government force costs onto
our residents for a service most of them don't even want."
Council argues the Container Deposit Scheme’s 10-cent bottle refund is already doing the job. Since it
started last year, the CDS scheme has been a hit in East Gippsland, allowing locals to keep glass out of
landfill by using the drop-off locations to donate to local causes or put money back into their pocket.
"The refund scheme works because it’s simple and there is a financial incentive for people to recycle," Cr
Ashworth said. "If the Government just added wine and spirit bottles to the refund list, like in other states, we
could hit our recycling targets without charging everyone extra."
Council also noted practical and environmental concerns, including:
• The space required to store a fourth bin at home.
• More waste collection trucks on local streets.
• No quantifiable environmental benefits for our community – glass will continue to be recycled, it will
just cost more to achieve this.
"We all want to recycle more, but it has to be practical," Cr Ashworth said. "We want a fair go for our
ratepayers and a solution that actually makes sense for our region."
Council is calling on residents to take part in a statewide survey. For more on the Let’s Be Clear on Glass
campaign and to have your say, visit eastgippsland.vic.gov.au/waste or a Council service centre. The survey
closes 5.00 pm Monday 25 May.
To date, the survey is showing opposition to a fourth bin is sitting at 87% of participating councils, and 92%
believe the Container Deposit Scheme should be expanded.