This is known as the 'Report and Consent' process.
Examples may include a building that is too close to front title boundary or a wall on a boundary with a maximum average height above the allowed three metres.
In many cases the surrounding neighbourhood character and adjoining neighbour’s comments will need to be taken into consideration, as nominated in Minister's Guidelines.
If you need to apply for a Council Report and Consent, please use the Report and Consent Application Form.
Information on submitting a Report and Consent Application
You will need to describe the building works to be constructed on the property. Some examples include -
- Dwelling, garage and verandah
- Garage and carport
- Front fence
- Dwelling extensions and alterations
- Radio mast etc.
Please nominate the Building Regulation/s that require council variation. You may need to consult with your building surveyor, draftsperson, builder or arrange an appointment with council's Municipal Building Surveyor to identify the correct regulation/s.
- 73: Maximum street setback (1/3 depth of lot to front wall)
- 74: Minimum street setback (average of neighbour’s)
- 75: Building height (max 9m or 10m)
- 76: Site coverage (60%)
- 77: Permeability (20%)
- 78: Car parking spaces (2)
- 79: Side or rear boundary setbacks for walls
- 80: Walls or carports on boundaries (length & height)
- 81: Daylight to existing habitable room windows (light court 1000mm wide)
- 82: Solar access to existing north facing windows
- 83: Overshadowing of recreational private open space
- 84: Overlooking (<9.0m to windows & SPOS)
- 85: Daylight to habitable room windows
- 86: Private open space
- 87: Siting of class 10a buildings (>10sq/m not appurtenant to another use)
- 89: Front fence height (>1500mm)
- 90: Fence setbacks from side or rear boundaries (>2.0m)
- 91: Fences on or within 150mm of side or rear boundaries
- 92: Fences on street alignments (within 9m of intersection of streets)
- 94: Fences (>2.0m high) and daylight to windows in existing dwelling
- 95: Fences (>2.0m) and solar access to existing north facing habitable room windows
- 96: Fences (>2.0m high) and overshadowing of recreational private open space
- 97: Masts, poles, aerials, antennas, chimneys, flues etc.
- 109: Projections beyond street alignment
- 130: Building over easements
- 132: Septic tank systems (where no PTI issued)
- 134: Buildings above or below certain public facilities
- 153: Flood areas
Describe the nature of each consent request, identifying how it varies from the Building Regulations and the limits of the variation. You can see the Building Regulations on the Victorian Building Authority website.
To construct a dwelling and garage with a setback of _ metres from the front title boundary in lieu of _ metres.