Community Laws
Community Laws
General local laws, alcohol consumption, advertising signs, camping, complaints, litter, parking on nature strips, shopping trolleys, when to use your lawnmower or power tools.

General Local Laws

Alcohol Free Zones

Most towns in the shire have designated ‘Alcohol Free Zones’. Drinking alcohol in these areas is banned at all times.

Public Places where alcohol may not be consumed.

New Year’s Eve ban

Drinking alcohol in public places is banned between sunset on 31 December and sunrise on 1 January. This applies throughout the shire.

Advertising Signs or Goods for Sale on Council roads or land

You are not permitted to place any advertising sign or goods (including motor vehicles) on display or for sale, on a road or council land.


You are not permitted to camp on public land unless you are in a registered camping area (such as caravan park) or have obtained a council permit.


Fines apply for littering. Council encourages residents and visitors to ‘Do The Right Thing’ and dispose of litter appropriately.

Making a complaint

When making a complaint to council you may be asked to provide your name, address and phone number. This is required to substantiate facts and so that council can report back to you on the outcome of any actions.

In serious matters you may be required to provide a sworn statement to council so that an investigation can be made.

Council regards all information it receives from a complainant as privileged and holds it in strict confidence. Your details will only be released with your consent or if the matter goes to court. Contact us for more information.


Lawnmowers, power tools and other similar equipment can only be used between 7.00 am and 8.00 pm Monday to Friday or between 9.00 am and 8.00 pm on weekends and public holidays. For more information please visit the Environment Protection Authority website.

Parking on nature strips

You must not park your vehicle on a nature strip. Fines will apply if you do.

Display Vehicles on Nature Strip Application

Shopping trolleys

Council may impound shopping trolleys or any item that encroaches on or obstructs the free use of a road or council land.

Policies and publications

Link to Community Laws forms and applications below.

There are currently no plans to display.
Please check back soon.

In this section...

You may also be interested in...

No items found.