Food Businesses and Stalls
Food Businesses and Stalls
East Gippland Shire Council is responsible for registrations, complaint investigation, inspections and food sampling relating to food businesses and food stalls.

Under the Food Act 1984, businesses operating in Victoria that sell food to the public must register with their local council.

Environmental Health Officers must ensure that all new food establishments are registered under the Food Act 1984 and are constructed to comply with the required standards.

There are currently no plans to display.
Please check back soon.

Starting a new food business

If you are wanting to start a new food business, please follow the steps below:

Step 1. Contact Council's Building and Planning departments to determine if any permits are required

Step 2. Arrange an onsite visit with an Environmental Health Officer to discuss the fit-out requirements. It is recommended that prior to undertaking any works at a proposed food premises or at an existing food premises, you submit a copy of your floor plans for assessment. We recommend that you not begin any works on your new food premises before receiving your approved plans

Step 3. Submit an application to register a food premises

Step 4. Contact officers for progress and final inspections

The following documents may be helpful in starting your new food business.

Buying an existing food business

When buying a food business, take the following steps.

Step 1. Contact Council's Environmental Health unit regarding your intentions to buy the business.

Step 2. Complete a Request an Inspection and Information on a Registered Premises which will give you the details of any outstanding Food Act requirements on the business.

Step 3. Apply to Register a Food Premises seven days before settlement.

Temporary and mobile food businesses

If you want to start a temporary or mobile food businesses in Victoria, you must apply for Food Act registration through Streatrader.

Streatrader is a state-wide single online system that allows you to:

  • Apply for registration with your local council
  • Lodge notification and statement of trade documents with your local council
  • Manage your registration.

The following documents may also help you with mobile food businesses and market stalls:

In this section...

No items found.

You may also be interested in...

This page was last published on: 
Tuesday, March 8, 2022