building & development
Road Safety and Speed Zones
building & development
Road Safety and Speed Zones
Answers to frequently asked questions about road safety, speed limits, signage, Works Within Road Reserve permits, truck usage on local roads, property access and parking.
There are currently no Planning Scheme Amendments on exhibition.
Please check back soon.
Filter Documents
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
There are currently no documents to display.
Please check back soon.
There are currently no items to display.
Please check back soon.
Filter by Month and Market Type
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
There are currently no markets to display.
Please check back soon.
Filter Applications
Sort by Town Name
There are currently no applications being advertised.
Please check back soon.
Filter Projects by Status
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
There are currently no projects to display.
Please check back soon.

Works Within Road Reserve (WWRR) permits

Do I need a permit?

All works within a Council owned road reserve that involve altering the existing conditions are required to obtain a WWRR permit.

Works that require a permit include but are not limited to:

  • construction or alteration to a driveway
  • utilities connection
  • vegetation maintenance (excluding grass mowing in an urban area)
  • any other work that impacts on the actual road or road reserve

Who applies for the WWRR, the property owner or the contractor/tradesperson?

Either party is able to apply for the permit. However, often it is better for the contractor/tradesperson to apply as they are able to provide details relating to how they will complete the work, traffic management plans and public liability insurance status.

How do I apply for a permit and how much does it cost?

Applicants need to complete a WWRR application form. Costs vary depending on the type of work and the speed limit where the works will be conducted. Costs are listed on the WWRR permit application form.

Who is responsible for reinstating the road, footpath and/or nature strip when works within a road reserve have been completed?

The contractor/tradesperson is directly responsible for ensuring that any disturbance to the road reserve is reinstated to Council’s standards. The contractor/tradesperson is also responsible for ensuring that the road reserve is left in a manner that is safe for all users and does not create a hazard.

What are Council’s road reserve reinstatement standards?

Generally, it is to reinstate the road reserve back to the condition that existed before the works, using the same materials.

In situations where hard infrastructure assets such as concrete or sealed footpaths, concrete or sealed roads and/or kerb and channel is impacted; these assets are required to be reinstated to the standards detailed in the Infrastructure Design Manual.

General road safety

What is Council’s road safety role?

Council is responsible for road safety on roads it manages. Council also advocates on road safety issues to other road agencies where appropriate.

Heavy goods vehicles

Are there any special requirements for driving of heavy goods vehicles on Council roads?

Yes. These requirements are detailed on the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) website.

Do I need a Heavy Goods Vehicle Permit?

All Over Size and Over Mass limit vehicles require a permit unless the road has been specifically gazetted as not requiring a permit.

Permits are obtained via the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator. All applications must be made via their online portal.

Property access

Can I have more than one driveway into my property?

Yes, each residence may have two driveway entries, provided they are a minimum of nine metres apart and do not exceed a combined 6.6 metre width.

The standards for driveways are detailed in the Infrastructure Design Manual. Standard Drawing (SD)240 relates to a single driveway and SD245 relates to a double driveway.

What materials can I use?

Concrete, sprayed bitumen seal or asphalt. You are not allowed to use crushed rock, gravel or dirt.


Tourist signs

Can I get a sign for my business?

Yes, if the requirements of the Tourist Signing Guidelines are met.

How are applications assessed?

Applications are assessed using the criteria in the VicRoads Tourist Signing Guidelines. Applications that meet these criteria should be successful. However, the overarching principal when considering an application is road safety. If a proposed tourist sign was considered by an appropriately qualified officer to have a detrimental impact on road safety it will not be approved.

What is the allocation process?

All applications for tourist signage are submitted to Council for consideration regardless of the road it is to be placed upon. In the case of non-Council road; Council officers will make an initial assessment of the application and then forward to VicRoads for final assessment.

What is the timeframe and cost of obtaining a sign?

Depending on the complexity and nature of the application it can take between four weeks and six months for an outcome to be determined. The cost of the signage is the responsibility of the business or service making the request. Cost varies depending on the size of the sign. Installation will be conducted by Council at no charge.

If my application is not successful is there an ability for the decision to be reviewed?

No. The VicRoads Tourist Signing Guidelines are robust and stringent and apply across Victoria. All applications will be assessed against the detailed criteria.

Road signs

How do I report a missing sign?

Council – please notify Council.

VicRoads – please notify VicRoads.

Can I name a road or change a road’s name?

Road naming requests can be made to Council’s Rates Department.


Can I request a change to parking time limit or request a disabled parking bay?

Yes. However, all changes to parking are compared against an car parking strategy if it exists. If a strategy does not exist all requests are considered on their individual merit along with the existing and proposed surrounding car parking. Put your request in writing and forward it to us.

Bus stops

School bus stops

How do I get a school bus stop?

Speak to your school bus coordinator for:

  • getting a new school bus stop
  • changing the location of a school bus stop
  • getting a shelter

Public transport bus stops

Who is responsible for public transport bus stops?

Public Transport Victoria (PTV) is the responsible agency for all issues associated with public transport and its supporting infrastructure.

How do I report damage to a public transport bus stop?

All reports of damage to public transport infrastructure, including bus stops, must be reported to PTV on 1800 800 007 or

In this section...

You may also be interested in...

This page was last published on: 
Friday, January 22, 2021