- All new houses must comply with one of the following: A prescribed insulation and glazing performance as nominated in the Building Code of Australia or Achieve a 6 star energy rating when modelled with computer software.
- Dwellings energy efficiency depends on building characteristics such as size, orientation, shape and surrounding environment.
- All new buildings must be include either a 2000L rainwater tank connected to all toilets or a solar hot water system.
New Home Extensions
- All new house extensions must achieve a prescribed insulation and glazing performance as nominated in the Building Code of Australia.
- In most instances, extensions cannot be modelled with computer software to achieve 6 star energy rating without re-insulating walls or upgrading existing windows throughout the whole house.
- House extensions are not required to be installed with a rainwater tank or solar hot water system.
New houses are required to include a greater range of energy efficiency and water saving features to reduce the cost of energy bills. Further information is available from the Victorian Building Authority on 1300 815 127, or contact Council on (03) 5153 9500.