.no-js-element { display:block; }
Print/Share this page

Do I need a Building Permit?

Almost all building works require a Building Permit. You may also need a Planning Permit - see Do I need a Planning Permit? for more information.


Council does not issue Building Permits; these are issued through Private Building Surveyors. If you are not sure if your project requires a Permit, contact Council or a private building surveyor.


Under current building regulations some of the following works are exempt from a Building Permit. All other building works require a Permit.


Type of Building Works

Requirements For Exemptions From Building Permit

Freestanding Pergolas or Sheds etc

Where the freestanding building works:

- do  not exceed more than 10m² in floor area, and

- are no more than 3m height, or if located within 1m away from the boundary, is not more than 2.4m height (unroofed pergola up to 20m²), and

- are not dwellings, garages etc located further forward to the allotment boundary than the building to which it is connected to, and

-are not constructed of masonry.

Demolition of Freestanding Pergolas, Verandas, Carports, Garages, Sheds etc

Where the demolition works incorporate a building that:

- is not constructed from masonry, and

- does not exceed 40m² in floor area, and

- will not adversely affect the safety of the public or the safety of the occupiers of the building, and

- is not work carried out on, or in connection with, a building included on the heritage register within the meaning of the Heritage Act 1995.

Repair or Maintenance of an Existing Building

Where the Repair or Maintenance works:

- will not adversely affect the structural soundness of the building and do not include;

  increase or decrease in floor area, or

  underpinning or replacement of footings (eg restumping), or

  removal or alteration of building element that is contributing to the support of any other element of a building, and

-are done using materials commonly used in the same purpose as the materials being replaced e.g. wood for wood, metal for metal (not masonry), and

-will not affect the safety of the public or building occupants

Fencing – Front allotment, side and rear allotment boundaries

For all information relating to fencing, please refer to our Fencing page. 


Rate this page - was the information useful to you?

Please type the code in the box below