.no-js-element { display:block; }
Print/Share this page

General Local Laws

General local laws, alcohol consumption, advertising signs, camping, complaints, litter, parking on nature strips, shopping trolleys, when to use your lawnmower or power tools.

Alcohol in Public Places

Alcohol Free Zones

Most towns within the Shire have designated ‘Alcohol Free Zones’. Alcohol consumption is banned in these areas at all times.

An up to date list of these areas can be downloaded from the below link:

Alcohol Free Zones (PDF 15KB)


New Year’s Eve Ban

Alcohol consumption is banned in public places between sunset on 31 December and sunrise on 1 January. This applies throughout the Shire.


Advertising Signs or Goods for Sale on Council’s Roads or Land

You are not permitted to place any advertising sign or goods (including motor vehicles) on display or for sale, on a road or Council land.



You are not permitted to camp in the Municipality on public land unless you are in a registered camping area (such as Caravan Park) or have obtained a permit from Council.



Fines apply for littering. Council encourages residents and visitors to ‘Do The Right Thing’ and dispose of litter appropriately.


Making a Complaint

When making a complaint to Council you may be asked to provide your name, address and phone number. This is required to substantiate facts and so that Council can report back to you on the outcome of any actions.


In serious matters you may be required to provide Council with a sworn statement so that an investigation can be made.


Council regards all information it receives from a complainant as privileged and holds it in strict confidence. Your details will only be released with your consent or if the matter goes to Court.



Lawnmowers, power tools and other similar equipment can only be used between 7.00 am and 8.00 pm Monday to Friday or between 9.00 am and 8.00 pm on weekends and public holidays. For more information please visit the Environment Protection Authority website.


Parking on Nature Strips

You must not park your vehicle on a nature strip. Fines will apply if you do.


Shopping Trolleys

Council may impound shopping trolleys or any item that encroaches on or obstructs the free use of a road or Council land.


Policies and Publications

General Local Law 2017

Respect Our Community (PDF 659KB)


Rate this page - was the information useful to you?

Please type the code in the box below