Locals are being encouraged to apply for 60 new jobs at East Gippsland Shire Council under the Victorian Government’s Working for Victoria fund.
Under Working for Victoria, Council will provide jobs for 60 unemployed people –whether they have lost their jobs due to the impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19)or have been without work for a longer period.
Council’s Acting Chief Executive Officer Fiona Weigall said Council is proud to be part of the $500 million Victorian Government initiative matching people that have lost their jobs with employers who need additional staff.
"We were successful in applying for the fund and are really pleased to be partnering with Working for Victoria to welcome 60 new employees on board to provide employment opportunities, contribute to our economy and assist with our service and project delivery,” Ms Weigall said.
“If you’re looking for a job, we encourage you to register your interest at the Working for Victoria website immediately.”
Ms Weigall said the roles will assist with the maintenance of public places, playgrounds and parks and gardens to ensure that East Gippsland is looking its best to welcome visitors back, once COVID-19 travel restrictions are lifted.
"After several years of drought, the welcome winter rains have supported the growth or weeds and attraction of pests. Through this program we will be looking to build three teams who will work specifically on addressing environmental issues brought on by drought and then fire across the landscape,” Ms Weigall said.
“With a capital works program of $64 million to deliver in 2020-21 and more projects to design with our communities, the program will also bring additional project design and supervision skills to Council to ensure we can deliver this program for our community,” Ms Weigall said.
The Working for Victoria initiative will also bring additional resources to work with Council’s waste team and support working in a COVID-19 environment.
Council will offer roles on six-month terms in the following jobs:
· Environmental Blitz team leader and team member roles
· Parks and Gardens team Leading hand and team member roles
· Recreation Reserve Blitz team supervisor and team member roles
· Environmental support officer
· Tree crew members
· Parks and Playgrounds Blitz team members
· Maintenance officers
· Concrete crew members
· Airport and Ferry Blitz team
· Waste Audit team member
· Asset verification officer
· Mallacoota maintenance crew members
· Omeo maintenance crew members
· OH&S Inspector
· Fire Prevention and Education Officer
· Community Recovery Committee Administration Support Officer
· Economic Recovery Officer - COVID-19
· Project Supervisor
· Council building improvements auditor / designer
· Human Resources support roles
· Organisational Development Pandemic Project Officer
· Business Analyst
· Environmental interpretation officer
· Community Facilities and Open Space Project Support
To find out more about the Working for Victoria fund and to register your interest in applying for one of the jobs at East Gippsland Shire Council visit www.vic.gov.au/workingforvictoria