.no-js-element { display:block; }
Print/Share this page

Council Property

Council has a diverse property portfolio consisting mainly of two types of land: Council-owned land, and land where it is the appointed Committee of Management of Crown land known as Council-managed land.


Council property may used for a range of purposes as follows:

  • Parks, footpaths and roads used by the public
  • Council’s facilities such as offices, libraries, depots, landfill and transfer stations, aerodromes, saleyards
  • Recreation reserves managed by a management committee
  • Land or buildings leased or licensed to a third party

A lease or licence is needed if you wish to occupy Council property. 

All Council-owned or managed land intended to be leased or licensed is open for public comment.


Do I need a lease or licence? 

A lease or licence is formal agreement for permission to occupy Council-owned or Council-managed land for a particular purpose.


Council has a policy which sets out the many types of occupations that need a formal agreement.


To occupy Council-owned or managed land, you need public liability insurance of at least $20 million.


If you are planning to construct a building or change the current use of the land you may need other approvals as well as a formal agreement – such as a planning permit or building approval.


See Do I Need a Planning Permit and Do I Need A Building Permit for more information.


It is an offence to occupy land if a formal agreement is needed and you have not obtained one.


Leasing and Licensing Policy for Council-owned land or Council-managed land



Rate this page - was the information useful to you?

Please type the code in the box below