.no-js-element { display:block; }
Print/Share this page

Outdoor Dining

Council support for business

Alongside the current drought and the recent bushfire crisis, East Gippsland is now experiencing further impacts to our business community and economy due to COVID-19 (coronavirus).


Council is taking a proactive approach with local business, industry and business groups to maximise opportunities presented by the Victorian Governments Business Resilience Package.


Media Release: Tuesday 22 September 2020 Dining experience takes on a new look


Business Victoria - Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package

The Business Victoria Business Resilience Package includes support for hospitality businesses through the Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package.

Grants of $5,000 are available for licensed and unlicensed cafés, restaurants, takeaway food businesses, pubs, taverns, bars and clubs.

You will find details about the Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package, application guidelines, frequently asked questions and a link to apply on the Business Victoria website.


Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package – Fact Sheet  


Council support

Council is providing support for businesses looking to extend their Goods on Footpath Permit or Liquor Licensing red line, and if you have an idea for maximising outdoor dining please let us know.


Goods on Footpath Permit (extension)

  • Our Community Laws team can assist with the application to extend your Goods on Footpath Permit
  • If you would like to extend your permit beyond your property boundary have a conversation with your business neighbours, then contact us to guide and support you through the process

The footpath trading procedure assists business operators to make an application to Council for the placement of items such as tables, chairs, screens, umbrellas and signage on our roads, road related areas and public spaces.


For further information go to Footpath Trading Procedure 


To find out more or apply for a Goods on Footpath Application, please go to the Display Goods on Footpath Application page.


Temporary Liquor License


A planning permit is required to temporarily extend your liquor licensing red line, you will need to submit a completed planning permit application form to Council.

  • Our Planning team is on hand to streamline the planning permit required to extend your red line.
  • Our fees and requirements for public notice of the application will be waived for the temporary period (declared State of Emergency period).

The permit will carry an expiry condition in line with the state of emergency declaration period.

Information requirements:

  1. A completed planning permit application form
    1. For “owners details” if in public land, please state the relevant public land manager (roads – Council)
    2. For private land, include a copy of the certificate of title, including any agreements or restrictions, obtained from www.landata.vic.gov.au
  2. A site/floor plan demonstrating the current red line area (hard red line) and a proposed temporary red line area (dashed red line)
  3. A written statement outlining:
    1. Number of patrons that can be accommodated under the restrictions in the existing red line area
    2. Number of patrons that can be accommodated under the restrictions in the proposed red line area
    3. What measures will be taken to ensure service of alcohol will not create additional amenity concerns for neighbouring landowners/occupiers/passing traffic or pedestrians.
    4. Any other condition that the business would normally put on alcohol service as a result of current restrictions (ie, guests to remain on premises for no more than 2 hours, alcohol only to be served with food, etc.)


Following the expiry of the permit, the temporary trading areas must be removed unless, in advance, a standard planning permit application has been made, which is subject to statutory fees (currently $1318.10) and requirement for 14-day public notice period. The applications as they apply to public land (footpaths, reserves) must be accompanied by acknowledgement and consent of the public land manager.


Business Victoria – Business Resilience Package

The Victorian Government is investing $3 billion to help businesses impacted by ongoing restrictions and prepare for COVID Normal business. Cash grants, tax relief and cashflow support will be delivered to Victorian businesses that have been most affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions. The package will help businesses survive and keep Victorians in jobs.

You will find details about the funding support offered, guidelines, frequently asked questions and links to apply on the Business Victoria website.  

Business Support

  • Small and medium sized business: The third round of the Business Support Fund provides grants of $20,000, $15,000 or $10,000. Applications opened on Friday 18 September 2020.
  • Licensed Hospitality Business: The Licensed Hospitality Venue Fund provides grants of up to $30,000 for licensed pubs, clubs, hotels, bars, restaurants and reception centres, plus liquor license fees waived until 2021.
  • Sole Trader Support Fund: The Sole Trader Support Fund provides grants of up to $3,000 to eligible sole traders who operate from a commercial premises or location as a tenant.
  • Business Chambers and Trader Groups:Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups is a competitive grants program to support local business groups and chambers of commerce in helping their members adapt to COVID Normal.

Bushfire Recovery Advisory Service

Bushfire Recovery Advisors support bushfire affected businesses in East Gippsland and North East Victoria. Book a free, one-on-one session with a Business Recovery Adviser for help with business impact assessments, developing recovery plans and resilience mentoring. 

For further information, call your local advisor Michael Anderson on 0404 126 602 or visit www.business.vic.gov.au/bushfire-recovery-advice





Rate this page - was the information useful to you?

Please type the code in the box below