.no-js-element { display:block; }
Print/Share this page


Investigation and control of nuisances, such as noise, smoke and odours.

Council’s Environmental Health unit administers the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 with respect to the investigation and control of nuisances occurring within the Shire.


Something may be regarded as a nuisance if it is liable to be dangerous to public health or offensive (noxious, annoying or injurious to personal comfort).



All complaints made to Council regarding nuisances are investigated. Any of the following may result:

  • If the complaint is unjustified or does not fall within the nuisance provisions of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 no action can be taken.
  • You may be advised to try to settle the matter by discussing it with the person responsible for the nuisance.
  • Your complaint may be forwarded to another authority/department, for example the Environment Protection Authority (EPA).
  • You may be asked to document the alleged nuisance and/or attend court if the matter reaches legal action.
  • The person responsible for the nuisance may be advised to remedy it.
  • A notice and/or legal action may be taken to abate the nuisance.


We can live comfortably with a certain amount of noise, but sometimes excessive or intrusive noise can have serious health effects. Noise pollution can disturb work, relaxation and sleep. Council’s Environmental Health unit works with the EPA and other authorities, to investigate and resolve noise problems in the Shire.


Annoyed by noise - what you can do

There are steps that can be taken to deal with noise before it reaches excessive levels. This includes:

  • Try to resolve the problem by talking with the person responsible for the noise. People may not know their noise is causing a problem.
  • Contact Council or the Police.  An investigation will be conducted to determine whether the noise is unreasonable and instigate measures to reduce the noise level where appropriate.

If a satisfactory outcome still cannot be reached,  the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria may be able to assist.


The EPA “Annoyed by Noise” publication has more information.


Rate this page - was the information useful to you?

Please type the code in the box below