Nicholson Street Mall Redevelopment
Follow the progress of the Nicholson Street Mall redevelopment
Latest News and Downloads
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The redevelopment of the mall aims to create a contemporary and vibrant urban centre with public spaces that support commercial, cultural and social activity.
The redevelopment of the Nicholson Street Mall is a priority project of the Re-Imagining Bairnsdale Master Plan and is funded by the East Gippsland Shire Council with the support of a $500,000 Regional Development Victoria grant through the Putting Locals First Program and a further $83,284 Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure grant through the Taxi Rank Safety Program.
The redesigned retail space will include:
- comfortable places for people to rest and meet
- improved community facilities including a remodelled and expanded kiosk
- prioritisation of the use and experience of the area by pedestrians
- new pavement, weather protection and public awnings
- landscaping, lighting and public safety improvements
- improved community event and performance space
- an accessible public toilet
- traffic calming, improved pedestrian access and bicycle parking
- a water fountain
- and a new taxi rank.
How do I find out more?
Contact Prue McTaggart, Senior Strategic Planner on 5153 9500