Racism. It stops with me
Council has joined the Australian Human Rights Commission's Racism: It Stops With Me campaign.
The campaign aims to:-
- Ensure more Australians recognise that racism is unacceptable in our community
- Give more Australians, at an individual and organisational level, the tools and resources to take practical action against racism
- Empower individuals and organisations to prevent and respond effectively to racism where it may happen
The campaign has been underpinned by key research findings which suggest that:
- 1 in 7 Australians say they experience discrimination because of their colour or background
- approximately 1 in 5 Australians say they have experienced race-hate talk, such as verbal abuse, racial slur or name-calling
- around 1 in 10 Australians say they have experienced race-based exclusions in the workplace or social events
- more than 1 in 20 Australians say they have been physically attacked because of their race.
For more information, see the National Anti-Racism Strategy.